The exercise and sport science major provides students with a foundation in the movement sciences, which promotes improvements in health, fitness, and/or performance for the physically active. The primary goal of this program is to prepare students to be evidence-based practitioners of exercise and human movement disciplines who think critically about the science behind their practice.
Students graduating from the exercise and sport science major will be able to seek employment as an exercise specialist, fitness and wellness coordinator, sport performance researcher, and strength and conditioning specialist, as well as enter professional graduate programs in exercise sciences and other fields, such as biomechanics, exercise physiology, and motor behavior.
A successful exercise and sport science graduate is expected to:
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills related to the areas of physical activity, movement sciences, and sport through practical experiences;
- Obtain knowledge of content area specific to chosen career goals, such as strength and conditioning specialist, coaching, and corporate fitness and wellness, through didactic and internship experiences;
- Demonstrate the importance of the physical, psychological, and emotional demands of physically active individuals through didactic and practicum experience.
General Education Requirements (30 credits)
Students are required to complete 30 credit hours as part of the General Education Program.
Exercise and Sport Science Major Requirements (75 credits)
Core Courses (72 credits)
- ATTR 1300 Emergency Care (3 credits)
- ATTR 1400 Health and Fitness (3 credits)
- EXSC 1200 Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries (3 credits)
- BIOL 1500 Biology/Lab (4 credits)
- BIOL 3320 Anat & Phys I/Lab (4 credits)
- CHEM 1300 General Chemistry/Lab (4 credits)
- ATTR 2300 Sports Nutrition (3 credits)
- BIOL 3300 Anat & Phys II/Lab (4 credits)
- ATTR 2400 Strength & Conditioning (3 credits)
- PHYS 2350 General Physics/Lab (4 credits)
- EXSC 3700 Kinesiology (3 credits)
- EXSC 3740 Exercise Physiology/Lab (4 credits)
- PSYC 3400 Sport Psychology (3 credits)
- EXSC 3670 Biomechanics of Human Movement/Lab (4 credits)
- EXSC 3820 Exercise Prescription/Lab (4 credits)
- EXSC 4300 Research Methods in Sport and PE (3 credits)
- EXSC 4220 Motor Learning/Lab (4 credits)
- EXSC 4100 Adapted Physical Education (3 credits)
- EXSC 4400 Exercise and Sport Administration (3 credits)
- EXSC 4500 Advanced Strength and Conditioning (3 credits)
- EXSC 4901 Practicum in Exercise Science (3 credits)
Major Electives (minimum of 3 credits)
- EXSC 3900 Sports Supplements for Athletic Performance
- EXSC 4900 Special Topics in Exercise and Sport Science (3 credits)
- EXSC 4950 Internship in Exercise and Sport Science (1-12 credits)
- EXSC 4990 Independent Study in Exercise and Sport Science (1-3 credits)
- Any 3000/4000-level EXSC course not counted as core course for the major (3 credits)
The academic program and curriculum requirements listed on this page are from the 2014-2015 edition of the NSU Undergraduate Student Catalog. Students are bound by policies and curricula published in the catalog in effect the semester they enter the university, unless an agreement is made with appropriate NSU administration officials allowing them to abide by policies published in a later catalog.
View sample 4-Year Academic Plan