Your First Step to Becoming the Health Care Hero They Need

Prepare to serve people with speech, language and hearing disabilities by obtaining your first degree in this growing field. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment of speech-language pathologists will grow 25 percent from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average. With the Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language and Communication Disorders, you can apply for graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, including at Nova Southeastern University.

Our curriculum gives you a foundation in speech, hearing, language and human communication disorders. You’ll learn from instructors who are recognized scholars with professional expertise in areas such as childhood language disorders, voice disorders, adult neurological disorders, motor-speech disorders, hearing disorders, and fluency disorders. This program also involves exciting research and clinical observations in various settings to help you gain a broad understanding of the field. With a B.S. in Speech-Language and Communication, you’re one step closer to a career that is both personally and financially rewarding.

Why Should You Major in Speech-Language and Communication Disorders at NSU?

Apply for Licensure as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLP-A) or Audiology Assistant

Depending on the state, graduates with a bachelor's degree can apply for licensure as a speech-language pathology assistant (SLP-A) or Audiology Assistant. This license allows you to work under the direction of a certified speech-language pathologist or audiologist in a variety of educational and health-related settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, schools, clinics and in private practice. According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 56% of SLPs are employed in educational settings and 39% in health care settings.

Learn more about Career Preparation

Average Starting Salary

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, speech-language pathologists make an average of $79,120 per year and audiologists earn an average of $77,600.

Shark Destinations

To practice as a speech-language pathologist, you typically need, at minimum, a master’s degree. To practice as an audiologist, you must complete a Doctor of Audiology (Au.D) degree. Many graduates of our bachelor’s degree program choose to continue their studies at NSU, which offers an M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology, Doctor of Speech-Language Pathology and Doctor of Audiology (Au.D) program.