Power Over Diabetes: Diabetes Management & Prevention
- Have you heard that diabetes has become a national epidemic in America, according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA)?
- Did you know that over 1.5 million people over the age of 20 have Diabetes in Broward County?
- Are you aware that the CDC estimates that 1 in every 3 adults is at risk for pre-diabetes?
- Did you know that over 11% of the African American and Hispanic adult populations were diagnosed with diabetes?
NSU seeks to address the pressing needs of diabetes management and prevention in Broward County by cultivating the knowledge and experience of interprofessional healthcare teams and leveraging the networks and capacities of partnering organizations.
Nova Southeastern University is sponsoring a series of community programs with the hope to increase awareness about diabetes and provide practical lessons to improve the health of the participants and their families in Broward County. Interprofessional teams of faculty and students from the Colleges of Health Care Sciences, Nursing, Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, and Optometry will present on important topics such as 'Diabetes and Healthy Eating,' 'Diabetes and Medical Management,' and 'Diabetes and Eye Health'. Each seminar is a free, one-hour long session that is open to the community. There will be a Q&A portion at each session where you can ask health professionals questions about diabetes management.
This year, the IDEA initiative is proud to announce that workshops will also be held in Spanish to reach even more members of the community. If you, or someone you know, would like to attend a free community workshop to be hosted at a local site, please email email@example.com.
To date, we have served over 1,100 individuals throughout Broward, Palm Beach, and Miami-Dade Counties (since IDEA's inception in 2012).
Quantitative Outcomes from 2014-2015 IDEA Workshops
- 98% of individuals reported that they gained new knowledge at one of the IDEA community workshops.
- 95% of individuals reported that the information they learned was valuable in managing their diabetes.
- 100% of individuals reported that they will apply the information that they learned.
- 100% of individuals reported that they would recommend the IDEA workshops to other people.
If you have a question or concern, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.