Office: Parker - Rm. 306
2009 – PhD – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA
2003 – MS – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA
2002 – BS – Salisbury University, Salisbury MD
Clinical Experience in AT I
Clinical Experience in AT II
Clinical Experience in AT III
Injury Evaluation I (Lower extremity)
Emergency Care and first aid
Principles of AT
NATABOC – National Athletic Trainers Board of Certification
ARC BLS instructor – American Red Cross Basic Life support instructor
NREMT-B – National Registry Emergency Medical Technician – Basic
Areas of Research
My research interests focus on evidence based practice and clinical instruction. I am primarily focused on the transfer of knowledge and application of skill between didactic and clinical practice. Additionally, I am interested in the development of clinical teaching strategies and promoting preceptor training. I have collaborated on several projects in the areas of sports nutrition and sports performance as well. As the clinical director for Athletic Training I make a concerted effort to maintain active roles in clinical practice standards and transition to practice for AT students.
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Dittman, P., Kleier, J. A., Swann, E., Colas, M., Petrosky, S., "Community-based, Interprofessional Educational Program for Diabetes Self-Management," Sponsored by Nova Southeastern University Quality of Life, Nova Southeastern University, $10,000.00. (Date submitted for funding: March 6, 2015) (July 15, 2015 - June 30, 2017).
- Colas, M., The National, "Triaging Athletes with Healthcare Professionals: Risk Factors for Every Practice," Lecture, Florida Chiropractic Association, National, Orlando, FL. (August 27, 2016).
- Doeringer, J., Peacock, C., Colas, M., Gatens, D., National Athletic Trainer' Association Annual Meeting and Symposium, "The Effects of Post-Exercise Cooling on Muscle Performance and Pain Perception.," Poster, National, Baltimore, MD. (June 23, 2016).
- Peacock, C., Silver, T., Colas, M., Antonio, J., ISSN, "A Comparison of Whey versus Casein Supplementation on Resting Metabolic Rate and Body Composition: A Pilot Study," Poster, International, Clearwater Beach. (June 9, 2016).
- Colas, M., Athletic Training Student Symposium, "Psychosocial Intervention & Referral," Lecture, Southeastern Athletic Trainers Association, Regional, Atlanta, GA. (February 5, 2016).
- Peacock, C., Krein, D. D., Antonio, J., Sanders, G. J., Silver, T., Colas, M. (2015). Comparing Acute Bouts of Sagittal Plane Progression Foam Rolling vs. Frontal Plane Progression Foam Rolling. Journal of strength and conditioning research / National Strength & Conditioning Association, 29(8), 2310-5
- Doeringer, J., Peacock, C., Colas, M., Gatens, D. (2016). The Effects of Post-Exercise Cooling on Muscle Performance and Pain Perception. (6th ed., vol. 51, pp. S-286). Journal of Athletic Training.