Office: HPD Annex - Rm. 137
1996 – Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Metabolism and Endocrinology – University of Texas Southwestern
1993 – PhD in Skeletal Muscle Physiology – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
1987 – MS – Kent State University
1984 – BS – The American University
Sports Supplements for Athletic Performance
Independent Study – Sports Nutrition Research
CSCS – Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
CISSN – Certified Sports Nutritionist of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
FNSCA – Fellow of the NSCA
FISSN – Fellow of the ISSN
Co-Founder – the ISSN
NSCA Educator of the Year Award (2009)
Vice-President of the NSCA (2007)
NSCA Research Achievement Award (2005)
Editor-in-Chief – the Journal of the ISSN (2010-present)
Areas of Research
My research interests focus on the role of sports nutrition vis a vis athletic performance and body composition. My recent investigations have examined the role of high protein diets on health and body composition in recreational bodybuilders. Furthermore, I am one of the very first scientists to study the role of training and nutrition in stand-up paddling (SUP) athletes. In addition, I organize at least 6 conferences/workshops each year for the International Society of Sports Nutrition. If you love sports nutrition science, then the ISSN is the conference to attend.
Current Research Project
The effects of SUP sprinting on blood lactate, Jose Antonio
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Erica Goldstein, Tim Ziegenfuss, Doug Kalman, Richard Kreider, Bill Campbell, Colin Wilborn, Lem Taylor, Darryn Willoughby, Jeff Stout, B SUE Graves, Robert Wildman, John L Ivy, Marie Spano, Abbie E Smith, Jose Antonio. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2010, 7:5 (27 January 2010) http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/5
- Richard B Kreider, Colin D Wilborn, Lem Taylor, Bill Campbell, Anthony L Almada, Rick Collins, Mathew Cooke, Conrad P Earnest, Mike Greenwood, Douglas S Kalman, Chad M Kerksick, Susan M Kleiner, Brian Leutholtz, Hector Lopez, Lonnie M Lowery, Ron Mendel, Abbie Smith, Marie Spano, Robert Wildman, Darryn S Willougby, Tim N Ziegenfuss, Jose Antonio. ISSN exercise & sports nutrition review: research & recommendations. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2010, 7:7 (2 February 2010). http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7
- Goldstein E, Jacobs PL, Whitehurst M, Penhollow T, Antonio J. Caffeine enhances upper body strength in resistance-trained women.
Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2010, 7:18 (14 May 2010) http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/18
- La Bounty PM, Campbell BI, Wilson J, Galvan E, Berardi J, Kleiner SM, Kreider RB, Stout JR, Ziegenfuss T, Spano M, Smith A, Antonio J. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: meal frequency. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2011 Mar 16;8:4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3070624/?tool=pubmed
- Bounty PL, Campbell B, Galvan E, Cooke M, Antonio J. Strength and Conditioning Considerations for the Mixed Martial Arts. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2011:33(1):56-67.
- Antonio J, Munoz C. Should You Consume Energy Drinks? Strength and Conditioning Journal. 34(3):25-27, 2012.
- Campbell B, Wilborn C, La Bounty P, Taylor L, Nelson MT, Greenwood M, Ziegenfuss TN, Lopez HL, Antonio J et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: energy drinks. 10:1, January 2013. http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/1
- Wilson JM, Peter J Fitschen, Bill Campbell, Gabriel J Wilson, Nelo Zanchi, Lem Taylor, Colin Wilborn, Douglas S Kalman, Jeffrey R Stout, Jay R Hoffman, Tim N Ziegenfuss, Hector L Lopez, Richard B Kreider, Abbie E Smith-Ryan, Jose Antonio. International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2013, 10:6 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-6
- Antonio J, Ciccone V. The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2013, 10:36 http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36
- Antonio J, Peacock C, Elerbroek A, Fromhoff B, Silver T. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals – a preliminary investigation. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. In press. 2014 11:19. http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19
- Zhang Y, Coca A, Casa DJ, Antonio J, Green JM and Bishoph PA. Caffeine and diuresis during rest and exercise: a meta-analysis. J of Sci Med Sport https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1440244014001431
- Peacock, C Krein D, Antonio J, Sanders G, Silver T, Colas M. Comparing Acute Bouts of Sagittal Plane Progression Foam Rolling vs. Frontal Plane Progression Foam Rolling. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2015. Aug 29:2310-5.
- Eric Trexler, Abbie Smith, Jeff Stout, Jay Hoffman, Colin Wilborn, Craig Sale, Richard Kreider, Ralf Jager, Conrad Earnest, Laurent Bannock, Bill Campbell, Douglas Kalman, Tim Ziegenfuss, and Jose Antonio. International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Beta-Alanine. JISSN. 2015. 12:30. http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/30
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Steve Orris, Max Scheiner, Adriana Gonzalez and Corey Peacock. A high protein diet (3.4 g/kg/d) combined with a heavy resistance-training program improves body composition in healthy trained men and women – a follow-up investigation. 2015 12:39 http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-015-0100-0
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Leonel Vargas and Corey Peacock. The effects of a high protein diet on indices of health and body composition – a crossover trial in resistance-trained men. JISSN. 2016 13:3 http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0114-2
- Alex Leaf and Jose Antonio. Effects of Overfeeding on Body Composition: The Role of Macronutrient Composition: A Narrative Review. International Journal of Exercise Science. 10(8):1275-1296, 2017.
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Corey Peacock, Tobin Silver. Casein protein supplementation in trained men and women: Morning vs Evening. International Journal of Exercise Science 10(3): 479-486, 2017
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Leonel Vargas, Richard Buehn, Corey Peacock. A high protein diet has no harmful effects: a one-year crossover study in resistance-trained males. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, Volume 2016 (2016) https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnme/2016/9104792/
- Richard Kreider, Douglas Kalman, Jose Antonio, Tim Ziegenfuss, Robert Wildman, Rick Collins, Darren Candow, Susan M Kleiner, Anthony Almada, Hector Lopez. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: safety and efficacy of creatine supplementation in exercise, sport, and medicine. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2017 14:18. https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0173-z
- Jäger R,Kerksick CM, Campbell BI, Cribb PJ, Wells SD, Skwiat TM, Purpura M, Ziegenfuss TN, Ferrando AA, Arent SM, Smith-Ryan AE, Stout JR, Arciero PJ, Ormsbee MJ, Taylor LW, Wilborn CD, Kalman DS, Kreider RB, Willoughby DS, Hoffman JR, Krzykowski JL, Antonio J. International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: protein and exercise. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Jun 20;14:20. https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0177-8
- Aragon AA,Schoenfeld BJ, Wildman R, Kleiner S, VanDusseldorp T, Taylor L, Earnest CP, Arciero PJ, Wilborn C, Kalman DS, Stout JR, Willoughby DS, Campbell B, Arent SM, Bannock L, Smith-Ryan AE, Antonio J. International society of sports nutrition position stand: diets and body composition. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Jun 14;14:16. https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0174-y
- Jose Antonio, Sarah Knafo, Anya Ellerbroek, Leonel Vargas, Tobin Silver, Corey Peacock, Jaime Tartar. The relationship between the ACTN3 genotype and measures of stress, exercise performance and body composition: a pilot trial. Journal of Exercise Physiology online. Dec 2017. Volume 20, number 6. https://www.asep.org/index.php/resources/jep-online/
- F Gholami, J Antonio, C Evans, K Cheraghi, L Rahmani, F Amirnezhad Tomato powder is more effective than lycopene to alleviate exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in well-trained male athletes: randomized, double-blinded cross-over study Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 18 (1), 1-7
- J Antonio, DG Candow, SC Forbes, B Gualano, AR Jagim, RB Kreider, ... Common questions and misconceptions about creatine supplementation: what does the scientific evidence really show? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 18 (1), 1-17
- NS Guest, TA VanDusseldorp, MT Nelson, J Grgic, BJ Schoenfeld, ... International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and exercise performance Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 18 (1), 1-37
- JL Tartar, J Antonio, DS Kalman, SJ Hewlings, J Baisley, M Marang, ... An Evaluation of the Effects of a Non-caffeinated Energy Dietary Supplement on Cognitive and Physical Performance: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study Cureus 13 (7)
- C Evans, V Mekhail, J Kaminski, C Peacock, J Tartar, JC Santana, ... The Effects of an Energy Drink on Measures of Cognition and Physical Performance.Journal of Exercise Physiology Online 24 (3)
- H Anand, SA Rees, Z Chen, A Jose, S Bearman, P Antervedi, J Das OpenUAV Cloud Testbed: a Collaborative Design Studio for Field Robotics
- J Antonio, D Cabrera, S Knafo, J Thomas, C Peacock, J Tartar Neurofilament Light (NFL) in Division II Female Soccer Players: A Potential Biomarker for Brain Trauma. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online 24 (1)
- CA Peacock, J Peacock, J Antonio, T Silver, GJ Sanders Peak Speeds of Professional Football Players During Bouts of Non-curved, Manual Treadmill Sprints Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice 19 (2), 3
- J Antonio, DG Candow, SC Forbes, B Gualano, AR Jagim, RB Kreider, ... If you have any questions in regards to creatine Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 18 (13)
- JM Pinto, V Merzbach, AGB Willmott, J Antonio, J Roberts Assessing the impact of a mushroom-derived food ingredient on vitamin D levels in healthy volunteers Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 17 (1), 1-10
- AE Mohr, R Jäger, KC Carpenter, CM Kerksick, M Purpura, JR Townsend, ... The athletic gut microbiota Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 17, 1-33
- S Mills, DG Candow, SC Forbes, JP Neary, MJ Ormsbee, J Antonio Effects of creatine supplementation during resistance training sessions in physically active young adults Nutrients 12 (6), 1880
- J Antonio, DG Candow, SC Forbes, MJ Ormsbee, PG Saracino, J Roberts Effects of dietary protein on body composition in exercising individuals Nutrients 12 (6), 1890
- JL Tartar, D Cabrera, S Knafo, JD Thomas, J Antonio, CA Peacock The “warrior” COMT Val/Met genotype occurs in greater frequencies in mixed martial arts fighters relative to controls Journal of sports science & medicine 19 (1), 38
- JB Banks, J Antonio, AS Holtzman, M Marang, C Weber, ... Creatine and Cognitive Functioning: What is the role of Exercise Frequency? NeuroSports 1 (1), 9
- VN Burgess, J Antonio, HW Bland, R Wagner, JL Tartar, BF Melton The effect of timing and type of exercise on the quality of sleep in trained individuals International Journal of Exercise Science 13 (7), 837
- JR Garcia, R Manimaleth, P Czartoryski, P Napolitano, H Watters, ... A Comparative Study of Body Composition Assessment Techniques: DXA and InBody 270 Journal of Exercise and Nutrition ISSN 2640, 2572
- Antonio J., Cabrera D., Knafo S., Thomas J., Peacock C., Tartar J. (2021) Neurofilament Light (NFL) in Division II Female Soccer Players: A Potential Biomarker for Brain Trauma. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online 24 (1).
- Antonio J., Candow, D.G., Forbes, S.C., Ormsbee, M.J., Saracino, P.G., Roberts, J. (2020) Effects of dietary protein on body composition in exercising individuals, Nutrients 12 (6), 1890.
- Dietary Protein and Resistance Exercise – editors: Lonnie Lowery PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. (CRC Press. 2012).
- Sports Nutrition and Supplements – editors: Abbie Smith PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. Linus Publishing. 2013.
- Nutritional Supplements in Sports and Exercise – editors: Mike Greenwood PhD, Matthew Cooke PhD, Tim Ziegenfuss PhD, Douglas Kalman PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. Springer. 2nd Edition. 2015.