Jose Antonio, Ph.D., FNSCA, FISSN, CSCS
Assistant Professor, EXSC, Exercise and Sport Science - Ft. Lauderdale
2006 – Post-doctoral Research Fellow – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
2003 – PhD – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
1987 – MS – Kent State University
1984 – BS – The American University
Sports Supplements for Athletic Performance
Independent Study – Sports Nutrition Research
CSCS – Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
CISSN – Certified Sports Nutritionist of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
FNSCA – Fellow of the NSCA
FISSN – Fellow of the ISSN
Co-Founder – the ISSN
NSCA Educator of the Year Award (2009)
Vice-President of the NSCA (2007)
NSCA Research Achievement Award (2005)
Editor-in-Chief – the Journal of the ISSN (2010-present)
Areas of Research
My research interests focus on the role of sports nutrition vis a vis athletic performance and body composition. My recent investigations have examined the role of high protein diets on health and body composition in recreational bodybuilders. Furthermore, I am one of the very first scientists to study the role of training and nutrition in stand-up paddling (SUP) athletes. In addition, I organize at least 6 conferences/workshops each year for the International Society of Sports Nutrition. If you love sports nutrition science, then the ISSN is the conference to attend.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Antonio J, Ciccone V. The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2013, 10:36 http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36
- Antonio J, Peacock C, Ellerbroek A, Fromhoff B, Silver T. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals – a preliminary investigation. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. In press. 2014 11:19. http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19
- Zhang Y, Coca A, Casa DJ, Antonio J, Green JM and Bishoph PA. Caffeine and diuresis during rest and exercise: a meta-analysis. J of Sci Med Sport http://www.jsams.org/article/S1440-2440(14)00143-1/abstract 2014
- Peacock, C Krein D, Antonio J, Sanders G, Silver T, Colas M. Comparing Acute Bouts of Sagittal Plane Progression Foam Rolling vs. Frontal Plane Progression Foam Rolling. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2015. Aug 29:2310-5.
- Eric Trexler, Abbie Smith, Jeff Stout, Jay Hoffman, Colin Wilborn, Craig Sale, Richard Kreider, Ralf Jager, Conrad Earnest, Laurent Bannock, Bill Campbell, Douglas Kalman, Tim Ziegenfuss, and Jose Antonio. International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Beta-Alanine. JISSN. 2015. 12:30. http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/30
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Steve Orris, Max Scheiner, Adriana Gonzalez and Corey Peacock. A high protein diet (3.4 g/kg/d) combined with a heavy resistance training program improves body composition in healthy trained men and women – a follow-up investigation. JISSN. 2015 12:39 http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-015-0100-0
- Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Leonel Vargas and Corey Peacock. The effects of a high protein diet on indices of health and body composition – a crossover trial in resistance-trained men. JISSN. 2016 13:3 http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0114-2
- Dietary Protein and Resistance Exercise – editors: Lonnie Lowery PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. (CRC Press. 2012).
- Sports Nutrition and Supplements – editors: Abbie Smith PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. Linus Publishing. 2013.
- Nutritional Supplements in Sports and Exercise – editors: Mike Greenwood PhD, Matthew Cooke PhD, Tim Ziegenfuss PhD, Douglas Kalman PhD and Jose Antonio PhD. Springer. 2nd Edition. 2015.