Criteria for Personal Ethical Choices
- Are you being responsible? Making a responsible choice?
- What are the probable consequences of your choice?
- If you were on the receiving end, would these consequences be acceptable?
- Is this a special situation? Or are you pretending it is?
- Can you discuss the problem with the affected parties before you make your decision?
- Would you want your employees to make the same decision?
- Would your mother approve of your choice?
- Would you be proud of your kids making the same choice?
- Would you have any difficulty explaining it on 60 Minutes?
- Would it be okay if others did the same to you?
- Did you do what you said you would do?
- Are you being honest with yourself about the real issue?
Source: Effectiveness Institute (Redmond, WA)
The Santa Clara University Markkula Center for Applied Ethics offers interesting commentaries on current ethical issues.