- BS degree from Syracuse University in Psychology (1990)
- MPT in Physical Therapy from Slippery Rock University in Slippery Rock, PA (1995)
- MA degree in Counseling in 2002, West Virginia University
- Ed.D. in Sport Psychology in 2001, West Virginia University
- transitional Doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2015, A.T. Still University in Mesa, Arizona
Dr. Shaw earned a graduate certificate in Gerontology from the University of South Florida School Of Aging Studies in 2009 and is an American Physical Therapy Association Certified Clinical Instructor. Dr. Shaw also completed Leadership and Management training through Nova Southeastern University’s Leadership and Management Academy in 2012.
- PHTT 6701 Communication and Cultural Competency
- PHTT 6705 Exercise Physiology
- PHTT 6720 Clinical Skills II
- PHTT 6822: Health Promotion, Prevention, and Wellness--Unit I, Health Promotion, Disease Prevention
- PHT 7405 Professional Roles of the DPT (tDPT)—Module I Health promotion, Teaching andLlearning
Scholarly Activities and Interests
Dr. Shaw’s scholarly interests include examination of psychosocial concepts in athletes as well as in the geriatric population. Specifically, her area of expertise includes the assessment of the psychosocial and physical impact of exercise and rehabilitation as it relates to motivation and adherence in the older adult with specific emphasis on promotion of healthy aging in the older adult with chronic conditions. Dr. Shaw serves on the editorial advisory group for PT in Motion. She serves as an editorial review board member for Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation and has been primary editor for 2 issues.
Area of Practice
Dr. Shaw has practiced physical therapy since 1995. Practice experience includes outpatient orthopedics, sub-acute rehabilitation, and skilled nursing facility settings.
Professional Activity Summary
In service to the physical therapy profession, Dr. Shaw has volunteered her physical therapy expertise in Haiti in response to the 2010 earthquake and in Jamaica as part of the NSU sponsored Medical Outreach Mission. She also volunteers her time and expertise at the Judeo Christian Clinic in Tampa. Finally, Dr. Shaw continues to be an active member in many professional societies including the American Physical Therapy Association and the American College of Sports Medicine. She is also the current faculty advisor for the student run NSU Health Promotion and Wellness Club.